Thursday, October 06, 2005

What to do with all the music

I'm quite an avid music listener, and my tastes are quite varied. I listen to everything from The Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack (playing now), to Israeli dance music, to Pop and Hip-Hop, and on to Trance. Given this, having all my music on the computer is far easier than shuffling CDs around, but even on the computer it can be difficult to manage several thousand different songs.

XMMS used to be my music player of choice, but its playlist manager is not quite up to task. It's impossible to search, and having multiple playlists isn't easy. I've just started using Rhythmbox, and it is better than XMMS. Rhythmbox keeps track of when a song was last played and you can give songs ratings. I would still like to see something like XMMS's queing feature that allows you to queue the next song after which it will go back to playing the playlist in the previous order. Also, I would like to see the random play mode having a weightings feature. For example, give a greater weight to songs not played in a certain amount of time; give a smaller weight to low rated songs, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryhthmbox is surely nice, but what about amaroK? For me it's THE jukebox. If you're not into KDE then try madman, (Madman ADministrates Music Archives Nicely) it uses xmms for playback and has many nice features and it is really really stable. http://madman.sourceforge.net/

Then there is yammi, but it wasn't updated during the last six months ...

Best.

Benjamin

----
Happy LN 3.0 user.

Tal said...

I tried madman a while back and it didn't work well for me. Perhaps it's time to revisit it, thanks for the reminder.

In general I prefer the look and feel of GNOME/GTK applications to KDE apps, but I will check out amorok. After all, k3b is the only non-CLI burning app that I use :)

Anonymous said...

Madman was rocksolid here on a vanilla LN 3.0. If you use k3b already you should really try out amaroK, I have the 1.2.4 running ant his version is stable, I once tested the enhanced features of 1.3 but the 1.3.0.prexxx wasn't really stable, but now the bugfix-release 1.3.3 should have ironed out most of the bugs. Unfortunately its in sid and I do not want to upgrade that far for just my favourite jukebox. It didn't compile complaining about a missing libstc++ (ALL of them are installed ...). Anyway, I am quite happy with 1.2.4 now.

IMHO, amaroK is a blast and would even make inrods on the Windows platform that is soaked with quite good multimedia apps.

Best.

Benjamin

----
Happy LN 3.0 user.