Friday, August 19, 2005

Danced my socks off

Last night I had the privilege of running the Israeli Folk Dancing group that I go to on Thursday nights. This meant teaching both the beginner and intermediate group as well as running the dance session. Our usual session leader/teacher was at a conference in Seattle and was expected to arrive at 8:00pm that evening. Her flight, however, was delayed and she didn't make it back until 9:30pm.

This was the first time that I had ever taught a dance class and run a dance session, so the whole evening was a new experience for me. I have to say that my experience last night has brought my respect for dance teachers and session leaders to a whole new level. I was less physically tired than I usually am after a night of dancing, but by the end I was mentally exhausted.

One of the most challenging aspects of the evening was to be able to vocalise dance steps during teaching and dancing of a new dance. I had a hard time separating my feet and brain to the extent where I could call out each step of a dance. Not only that, but breaking down a dance into teachable segments is quite difficult and at one point I completely lost the dance I was trying to teach for the intermediate group. I had the dance when the music was playing, but as soon as I tried to teach the steps .....

At any rate, the evening went pretty well for the most part. I'm very glad to have had the experience, and I know that I have a lot of work to do before I could consider myself proficient in this area.

No comments: